Handy with the 1 last update 2020/06/03 tools? Too cheap to buy a cooker? Can''ve seen some impressive rigs built from steel drums, refrigerators, file cabinets, propane tanks, and even large terra cotta planters.Handy with tools? Too cheap to buy a cooker? Can''ve seen some impressive rigs built from steel drums, refrigerators, file cabinets, propane tanks, and even large terra cotta planters.
Woodworking Planshow to Woodworking Plans for Please make sure you use food safe materials. Never use steel drums that have held oil, solvents, or other toxic materials. Remember, metals are not smooth. There are microscopic pockmarks, pores, cracks, and dangerous compounds can get in there and even bond with the metal. Some have a plastic corrosion barrier on the inside and the exterior paint could be harmful if it vaporizes when hot. Also beware that the metals, plastics, and paints in refrigerators and file cabinets can be hazardous. The AmazingRibs.com science advisor, Prof. Greg Blonder warns ""
Grills & Smokers
- 7 tips on building a brick grill. This article helps keep you away from the, ahem, pitfalls.
- From HGTV. Home & Garden TV has step by step instructions.
- Old Fashioned Backyard Brick BBQ Pit With Wood Storage Rack. That''s Wide World of Pits. A gallery of home made grills and smokers from Dave Lineback.
- A simple open brick grill. With wood storage.
- An open grill with a car jack The jack raises and lowers the food.
- A large open air pit. Comes close to my dream machine. This link is to a pdf.
- Barbacoasluna.com Videos. This company has videos of their designs on YouTube. There are some great ideas here.
- Barbecue Building Book a Sunset gardening & outdoor building books
- Wilber. A great brick smoker with photos and detailed plans.
- Slideshow. Here''s a rule of thumb: The volume of the firebox should be about 1/3 the volume of the cooking chamber.
Ugly Drum Smokers (UDS)
- The UDS is a 55 gallon steel drum converted into a grill and smoker. This is an easy way to build a high quality cooker cheap. If you are building a drum smoker and need help finding a food safe drum, click here and scroll down.
- It''s another good thread.
- Here''s Hedonism Evangelist and BBQ Whisperer. He is also the author of ""/ratings-reviews/tools/books-and-magazines/meathead-book""mh-book-bio""Meathead: The Science of Great Barbecue and Grilling"", a New York Times Best Seller and named one of the "" by Southern Living.